Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Just a boy thing????

So have a question for you moms with boys. How long did it take your boys to stop going tinkle during the night? Luke is 5 1/2 now and still has to wear a pull up at night. He will go in spurts of not going at night. Sometime for up to two weeks, but then he starts again. We have tried differnet things like no drinks after dinner, going a bunch of time before bed, and I used to even wake him up at night to go. I only did this when I was prego with Drew cause I was up every night to potty and thought he might as well too. Sometimes that worked, but other times he would still go after I woke up him.
He has been potty trained during the day since he was like 2 1/2 and I haven't really given a lot of thought to the night time thing until like the last year or so. I figured he would just grow out of it and eventually get it. I still kinda feel this way, but then sometimes I start to wonder. He is a pretty hard sleeper and doesn't wake up to much. I don't think he will actually wake up to go. I think he will just have to learn to wait till morning. I heard somewhere that there is a hormone in our body that allows us to create less urine at night and until you have enough of that hormone it make it difficult to not go at night. Has anyone else heard that? I have also heard that it take boys longer than girls. Anyone have any tips or advice? I am not super concerned, but would be nice to be able to stop buying pull-ups.

5 comments:

pandama said...

dear sister beth when you wrote about this it made me think about what God did for me. When i was little i would wet the bed at night. Finally as i kept getting older my mom decided to take me to the doctors to see why. The doc told her that in some people it happens that a censor to the brain that tells you when you have to go doesn't get developed all the way. so when asleep is when this is the hardest. i wet the bed off and on till i came in the faith. I feel like God just healed me. So keep praying for him and i will to. Hopefully its just a phase but if its like me i know god can take it away. also maybe give him special treats when he doesnt wet the bed and maybe take away the security of the pull ups and just do a plastic bed protector which they do sell under the sheets that way when he does go hes more liable to be aware of when he needs to and how uncomfortable it is to be wet at night. Good luck and God bless

Kim said...

Hey Beth, My hubby wet the bed til he was 10. They say it is a family thing (???) so I figured I would get at least 1 bed wetter. All my kids wet the bed. (tried the no drink thing too but didnt make a difference.)They were potty trained during the day fine and did that fairly young but night was something else. One of my boys did it til he was about 11. Dont worry. They do out grow it. Really it gets really embarrassing for them and I think they would change it if they could. So, dont make it a big deal. It will change, just be patient. You wont have to send him on his honeymoon with pull-ups! LOL Love you and no worries Sister!

meNmykids said...

I think that it just has to do with the kid. My son potty and night trained faster than any of the girls. However if bedtime troubles has been in the family it could just be that his bladder needs a little more time to grow. I'm sure he won't be doing it when he is a teen, so I wouldn't worry about it either. Of course, the pullups could get expensive. He seems right on track with everything else, so it is probably right around the corner. You are doing great, if you keep thinking about it just pray. What cute kids they are!

Barbara Reed said...

I have a four year old little girl. She was COMPLETELY potty trained up until about 6 months ago. All the sudden she has accidents at night as well as during the day. She doesn't seem to know she's doing it till it's over. All the advice I have is anoint with oil at night and pray. It worked with my oldest who had problems at night till she was about 10 when I started anointing her after she fell asleep.

Tish said...

I know I am late reading this post, but I thought I would comment anyway. Christian is 7 and has had problems wetting the bed. Only just recently has he stopped. His been dry every night for about 3-4 weeks! Yah! My other kids still wet the bed too. I haven't tried this but someone told me recently that sometimes they grow faster than their bladder does, and that if you have them wait until the last minute to go during the day that will help them hold it better at night. I really don't know if it works for not.

I was a bed wetter too, but my problem was that I was afraid to get up. I honestly thought that monsters would get me if I got off of my bed. I have always put a nightlight in my kids' room, but they still have problems.

I think that this is probably something he will grow out of.