Monday, February 27, 2006

Food Boycott



Well it's official Luke has decided to boycott food. He has been fighting off a cold for the last week or so and has totally lost his appetite. Meal time has been a battle, which usually involves him saying "no no no no no" half a dozen time and some tears or even maybe a big fit. Then I finally convince him to take a bite it is like watching an episode of "Fear Factor" where the contestants have to eat some kind of disgusting thing like worms or roaches. His face scrunches up and his eyes start to water and he gags on the food (which I think is all an act, but he is a really good at it!). He will not even eat all his favorite foods, like yogert, bananas, peanut butter sandwiches, cheese & gold fish crackers. I am sure being sick is the cause of all of this, or maybe he is just getting tired of eating the same things over and over. So if anyone has some suggestions on good snacks and little meals for a 2 year old, feel free to tell me.

7 comments:

Nicki said...

Beth,
I can empathize with the food struggle. My kids have gone through phases like that. I'm not sure what else you can try. Maybe applesauce, grilled cheese...I'm not sure. It's probably just a phase. Eventually, he'll eat because he'll be so hungry from skipping all of his meals! LOL! I know it can make a momma concerned (and exasperated) though.

MarylandMommy said...

Hang in there, we have had issues like that before. If anything, try the Pedialyte popsicles. Those seem to work & kept him hydrated when he was sick.

Lisa said...

Beth - First and foremost thanks so much for your kind and inspiring words on my blog. It is nice to have people out there like you.

Secondly, I can't email you directly, I get a return email so I thought I would post here.

If your little one won't eat I wouldn't force him. He will get hungry enough eventually as long as you don't fill him full of junk in between meals. Just make sure you stand firm that this is what we are having (or he is having) for Lunch/Dinner/etc...and then leave it at that. If he wants something later, have the meal wrapped and in the fridge so that he can eat that.

I know it sounds mean, but I did this with my kids.

Lastly, if he has been sick he is probably apprehesive to eat anything that he may be vomitted (if this was the case) before he got sick. I know my kids have had adversions to foods they used to love because they tossed them up.

Hang in there...you are doing a great job and like the others here have said...lots of liquids..popsicles are great...and so is that pedialyte drink...

Blessings,
Lisa

Trina said...

Poor little Luke. This is always a problem with my guys when they arent feeling well too Beth. All the advice is great, nothing more to add, but just know that all my kids go through a phase of that and then they are back to eating us out of house and home. Hugs and kisses to Little Luke.

Kim said...

Praying Luke gets better! Lisa had great advice. Sometimes my problem is my hubby... totally not meaning to slam him, but he's a total sugar daddy. Sometimes Blake will wait it out just until daddy gets home and gives him what he wants. (It's an ongoing issue with us.)

I had a similar post back in July:
http://abbasgirlforever.blogspot.com/2005/07/picky-eater.html
I got a lot of great advice that you can read through. :)

Beth said...

Thanks everyone for the advice and words of encouragement. He is doing a little better today...I think he also has learned what it means to make his own choices. Saying "yes" or "no" and no seems to be the word of choice!! :-)

Alison said...

I hope that he's eating better for you (or at least eating his favorite foods again). :)