Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Shower Power


Awwww. There is nothing like a nice warm shower. A time to relax and get refreshed. I used to love my morning shower. I would get in there, take as long as I wanted and really enjoy it. I still love it, but don't get to enjoy it as much since Luke was born.

When Luke was a baby I would wait until he took his morning nap, then I would take a quick shower. Very quick, just long enough to jump in there and wash my hair and body and be out in a flash. All the while listening for the sound of a faint cry from the other room.

Then when Luke was a little older I would put him in his swing while I took a shower. I knew that he would sit there for awhile before either falling asleep or crying. It was a small window of opportunity. I would also put him in his highchair in the bathroom with me with toys on the tray to play with. This worked pretty well I could keep a close eye on him and not worry about what he was doing. Only problem was he would one by one throw every toy on the floor and then start crying.

Now that Luke is older I put on an episode of Dora the Explorer, or Go Diego Go, and hope that it will keep him entertained long enough for me to take a shower. But I am still constantly worried about what he is doing. And of course I think about the worst possible things, like trying to open the front door, or playing under the sink. Sometimes the mind wonders. I usually end up yelling for him to come in the bathroom just so I can see if he is ok. I did that the other day and he come in there with a bottle of Windex. Not a good sign, I knew he was into something.

I look forward to Saturday and Sunday morning when Joe is home. It is comforting to know that Joe is watching Luke and I don't have to worry. I can enjoy my shower and actually take a little longer one too. Although it is not good when I hear Joe yelling and I can't tell if he is yelling at Luke or just playing with him or yelling cause something bad happen. Then I hear Luke crying and don't know if it is because he is in trouble or if he is hurt. This kinda puts a wrench in my only time to relax in the shower. I get out and find that Luke got ahold of Joe's coffee and spilled it all over the carpet. Opps!!!

It is funny how some of the simple things change after you have a kid. Like taking a shower. It is definitely not what it used to be. It is not a bad thing though, it is just different. Not to mention how often I actually get to shave my legs.

(well this is my third time writing this cause every time I go to publish it the page isn't working and it deletes every thing I wrote. How frustrating!!!)


13 comments:

Renee said...

Great post! And so true. It all changes once those babies come. I don't take showers; just baths and when Mark's home that's my one time that I have all to myself!

Christy said...

Hey Beth...How do you get the blinkies and stamps onto your blog? They are cool and I have never seen them before.

Nicki said...

Showers can be an interesting feat when you are a mother. Can't they?

Some could be led to believe that I'm into water conservation, by the way that I turn the water off and on while I shower. When in actuality, I'm just trying to hear if things are going haywire outside the bathroom.

Nicki said...

Hmmm...that was supposed to be 'in reality'. LOL!

Drywall Mom said...

I used to be the same way, but now that my son is older, he knows better than to get into things while I'm doing stuff like that. Jocelyne on the other hand isn't old enough to do that but I have it alot easier since I have a nanny now. But before that, she is usually still asleep when I get in so I don't have to worry about that. So just get him into the habit of letting him being not getting into things and make sure he knows the consequenses if he does. That what I did. JJ knows that if he gets into something while I'm doing something then he will get something taken away from him or he is in a time out. It takes a while but it will catch on.

Unknown said...

I used to have to get up before the kids to get a shower in or there was no way it was gonna happen. Now my daughter is old enough to make sure the boys don't get into anything bad while I'm in the shower, but I still take super fast ones.

Alison said...

I had to laugh at the Windex. After we moved, unbeknownst to me, we had two boxes of cleaning supplies. I put up the one box, but my daughter kept "cleaning" the screen door. I finally figured out where she kept getting cleaning supplies after I would pick them up.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh- showers are wonderful! I took the longest one last Saturday since hubby was home- and I was able to SHUT THE DOOR! Such a luxury!

I love your new pic, too! You are beautiful!

Beth said...

Renee: I love baths too, but don't to take them that often. Bath are better right before bed, but I like to wash me hair in the morning, casue it takes forever to dry. So it is kinda hard to take baths in the morning. When Luke was younger I would just take a bath with him. That was always fun.

Nicki: That is so funny "the water conversation" I have done that many times too. But sometimes it is like blow drying your hair and the phone ringing. You turn it off and hear nothing, then turn it on and think you hear something so you turn it off again. Your ears play tricks on you. It is pretty funny.


Drywall & Kristiesue: Yeah it will be nice when Luke is old enough to know to stay out of trouble and then old enough too if we have another baby to keep on eye on it while I take a shower.


Jenny: oh man...thats exciting...luckily we have gas water heater and it doesn't change the water temp. much when you flush the toliet. :-)

-a-: Yeah Luke has used the windex to clean the coffee table. It was soaked. Crazy kids!!!

Stephanie: Wow I bet that was nice. Yeah who knew shutting the door would be such a luxury after you have kids...LOL. Thanks for the compliment on the picture. It is fun to change them every now and then.

momto3blessings said...

Yep I remember those days. Now Micah and Josh keep an eye on Mary so I can have my LONG shower.

Unknown said...

Awww I love your new profile picture! Very cute :)

Trina said...

Ohhh Beth...........
You have been tagged! Come read my blog to read the rules....hehehe

I love your new profile pic too!!

Heidi said...

I can totally relate to the shower thing Beth! My showers are so sacred to me but now sometimes I have to wait a day or two - EEEEK! I put Sam in her Jolly Jumper when I'm on the run. She's just in the doorway so I can hear if she's ok and she can also see our tv in our bedroom from there.
Also lately I've experienced the same thing with Blogger when I finally have the time to sit and type something and publish it - somehow it's deleted. It's frustrating! I love your little "Dear God" guys from Photobucket - are they adorable or what!

Heidi