Saturday, March 18, 2006

???? Years in the making

Well I finished this quilt this morning!!!!!! I don't even know how long I have been working on it. Well I can't really even say working on it, cause most of the time it has been stored in my closet.
When I still lived in Washington my mom and I joined the quilting thing at my church. We picked out some fabric that we liked and gave everyone in the group pieces of it to make a block. I picked out butterfly, frog, flower, and sky material and let everyone add other fabric that matched to make a 10" finished block. My mom did the same thing but with cat fabric.
So I got like 15 blocks back, and they were all so cute. Then they sat in my closet for the next 5 years or so. I would take them out every now and then and look at them or show them to someone, telling them how I planned to put them all together and finish it....SOME DAY or some year. Well I guess this was the year. One day about a month ago...I just started working on it. I had forgot how fun it was. The last time I made a quilt was while I was pregnant. It was for my friend who was getting married. It was a huge quilt, so it was pretty hard and time consuming. I really wanted to get it done before Luke was born, but of course I procrastinated and I ended up rushing to get it done like the last month of my pregnancy. Which was very hard with a big belly. Can you picture it.....big belly women crawling all over the floor pinning and cutting and ironing. So I guess what I am trying to say is I forgot that it can actually be fun. Especially under the right circumstances. With this quilt I was feeling no pressure (from myself) on getting it done fast or even caring how it looked when it was done.
First I had to make sure all the block were the same size, but they weren't, they were all off a little so I added some fabric around all of them to make them 12" blocks. They I layed them all out on the floor to see what way looked best....Then just got to sewing, pinning, quilting, and putting the binding on, and today I was done. I am actually really happy with the way it turned out. I am not really sure what to do with it now that it is done. It will not be going on our bed....to girly for Joe. Guess we will just have to wait and see if we ever have a little girl. Hopefully she will like it and want it in her room. But for now I think it will be a good quilt to use when I am sitting on the sofa cold and need a blanket wrapped around me to keep warm.

It is a pretty neat quilt. I like to look at each block and see who made which one...since most of them put their names on their block. It brings back lot of memories of each person!!!

9 comments:

momto3blessings said...

That is so pretty. I love it. Trina and I took a quilting class together with a few other girls from her church. We had alot of fun. That definatly gave me the quilting bug. I think once Mary is older I will start quilting again. It sure is alot of fun. I think you did a great job.

Beth said...

Momto3blessing: It if great joining those quiling classes..cause you get to do it with other people. Once you learn how to do everything, it is a lot of fun..maybe when Mary gets older you can do it together!!!

Hey just wondering if anyone knows when a comment gets deleted it say "removed by auther" does that mean I removed it or the person who wrote it did. Just wondering..wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally delete someones comment.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing! It's beautiful.

Paula said...

The quilt is SO beautiful and what a wonderful memory keeper. I love it.

Hey--we're both CO mommies. :o) You're son's adorable, BTW. Thanks for visiting GraceReign.

Renee said...

It's so beautiful, Beth. I'm so jealous of those talented people out there like you. My mom is a quilter and she's made me and the kids quite a few.

Nicki said...

Beth,
The quilt is beautiful! I would love to learn to quilt. I have no skills when it comes to any type of sewing, quilting, knitting...I'm hoping to take some classes some day. I definitely want my kids to know how to do these things.

As for the comments, it looks like the person who wrote the comment deleted it. There should be a little trash can in the corner that you can click on to delete that 'comment deleted' message, if you want to.

Lisa said...

What a great gift you have. I have not quilted in quite a while.

Love the color and pattern.

MarylandMommy said...

That is a beautiful quilt!!! I am making for for our future daughter but I have a long way to go!

Cara said...

girl, you have lots more patience than me!! That is beautiful!;)